Friday, December 31, 2010

Research, sketching, daydreaming, writing...




Things are coming together for all you Loyal Legionnaires. This past week I have been pounding the pavement, or rather the great research tool - the internet, getting together images for reference, costumes, vehicles, buildings and all things needed for the first issue of Captain Spectre.
As prep work, as you all know, I need to get comfortable with all the characters in the book. No matter how little they have to do with the story. Mainly because visually I want this book to be the best thing I have ever done. So I went back to the 'Mary' the waitress character to do a bit better design work than before. Also found a better truck that I needed. This two and half ton ford cab-over from 1939 is a better fit for what I wanted. So as I mentioned the process begins. How do I draw these vehicles, what kind of inking do I want on them. What style or degree of contrast in the inking. So I did a rough with a new pen brush I bought. Served two purposes, tested the brush, and gave me some vehicle inking practice for the book.
It seems more and more I try to make things, drawings, sketches, and the like to do double duty - as time is always a factor.

So my plans for New Years are to continue with this process, as this morning the ice is coming down already. The sidewalk is slick.....the dog was even sliding around as he went out for his morning bathroom adventure, I have food in the icebox, the power hasn't gone off, and I have no plans.....other than working on the book today. It is going to be a very good day I think.

So Happy New Year to all you Loyal Legionnaires! Stay safe, don't drink and drive, try not to drink too much......and get rid of this year and let's make this new year a much better one!!

And again thanks for tuning in...... oh and also, I finally have my main villain for issue one. I am trying to figure out if I should post it, or keep it a deep dark science secret.

5 comments:

  1. Tom, great work!

    Mary's looking better, a new face of Donut man. You are really making progress on the comic. I'm glad to see it, as I was worried with all of your other work, if anymore work would be done on it anytime soon.

    You be careful on the ice!

    Happy New Year, my friend, and here's hoping for a better year.

    P.S. Keep the villain under wraps, I want a shocker.

    Lloyd, Loyal Legionnaire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd almost forgotten about Delaware Punch. That sketch has my mouth watering for a splash of that. Too bad they don't make it anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, and nice sketches! Those look very pre-war era. Sounds like you still have big plans for us loyal Legionaires. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks awesome, pal. Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!
    Especially like the sketch of the Truck Tom! simple, quick yet descriptive and atmospheric. really captures the era.

    ReplyDelete